Tuesday 15 May 2012

Scaring mama

I am now, according to google, 5w2d and have my first ultrasound tomorrow. Everything was going swimmingly until I woke up this morning with bad AF cramps and then saw blood when I wiped. I freaked out, especially as any "symptoms" I had seemed to have gone, my boobs looked like they had returned to their normal size, and all I could feel was AF coming on.

I am blessed to live in a town where pretty much anything is possible, at any hour, so I literally got dressed, drove the 5 minutes to the nearest lab, asked for an HCG test, did it, went home, waited for an hour and a half and then called to get the results. I calculated that if my beta was doubling every 48 hours, it should be 3344 by now, so I just had this number going round and round in my head while waiting to call. And the actual result was.....7732!

Not that I have been obsessing on betabase or anything (ahem!), but that makes a doubling time of 34.84 hours. That's good, right? It's also well above the median beta for twins on 23dpo, but I am not even daring to hope that I might get that lucky. I called my RE about it all and he said the spotting and AF-type cramping is not concerning, and the beta is very strong and just to relax and come in tomorrow as planned.

I'm so glad I did the extra beta as I would have been stressing and upset about it the whole day otherwise. Still nervous about tomorrow, but a bit less so now! I swore I would enjoy every minute of this pregnancy and I hate to be Worrying Wendy, so I am really trying to take the doc's advice and relax now. And, touch wood, the spotting seems to have cleared up already.

To my darling baby/babies: Please don't scare me like that again! (Fat chance). Love, melodramatic mama xx

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful new !
    I can't wait to read your update on the ultrasound tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete