Saturday 7 July 2012

Scaring mama....part 2

So, since the scary bleeding from week 5 - week 6, my pregnancy has been completely unremarkable and sweetly uneventful. I have been lucky to have plenty of scans, including one at 11 weeks and my NT scan at 12 weeks. So far I don't think I have gone more than 2 weeks without a scan, which has been very reassuring. I have had lots of great nausea and my belly even seems to be growing already, although whether that's true baby bump or pregnancy bloating is hard to tell.

So I was quite unprepared for waking up this morning (12w6d) with stabbing pains in my abdomen, and then, lo and behold, blood. I was actually quite calm in the circumstance, but Mic was literally going round in circles with panic. He called my OB (yes! I have one of those now!) who said to come in for an emergency ultrasound a couple of hours later. By the time I got there the bleeding had lightened to spotting and the pain had subsided quite a lot, so I was quite hopeful, but still super nervous.

Anyway, all is well with the baby, nothing wrong there. My placenta is in slightly the wrong position and has a small tear in it, hence the bleeding. And, as usual, there's absolutely nothing I can do to make it better. Rest won't help, the same thing might well happen again, and it's not dangerous. That's what I've been told, so I'm going to choose to believe it!

The only thing I can do is stay on those pesky progesterone suppositories, and if the bleeding happens again and is prolonged, he'll put me back on PIO. And - the silver lining - my next appointment is in 2 weeks, so once again, the agonizing wait between ultrasounds has been blessedly cut short.

Hopefully the next time I post an update it will be completely absent of any drama and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to tell you if the little troublemaker in there is male or female!

No comments:

Post a Comment